Prisons Ladies fined GH₵5,000 for assault on referee Bremansu

Author: Beatrice Laryea

The Disciplinary Committee of the Ghana Football Association has fined Prisons Ladies FC GH₵5000.00 for the assault of referee Theresa Bremansu during the first leg of the Women's Special Competition semi-final match against Ampem Darkoa Ladies at the Army Park in Sunyani on Sunday, April 7.

The Committee has also ordered the club to report the supporter who assaulted the referee to the Police  with jurisdiction for purposes of prosecution.

Per the ruling, which was released on Wednesday, April 24, the club shall be liable to a further sanction of two home matches ban in any competition of the GFA anytime from the date of the decision, upon failure to fully comply with the orders.

The first leg of the semi-final clash played at the Army Park ended 1-0 in favour of Ampem Darkoa. The result did not go down well with a Prison Ladies' supporter, who allegedly run onto the field and beat up the referee for poor officiating.

The Normalisation Committee, organisers of the Women's Special Competition, later in a press release condemned the act and referred the case to the Disciplinary Committee for further ruling.

Below is the ruling by the Disciplinary Committee.


  1. Prisons Ladies FC are fined an amount of GHC 5,000.00 payable within 14 days from April 24 2019, out of which fine an amount of GHC 2,000.00 shall be paid in compensation to Referee Theresa Bremansu.
  1. The Club is ordered to produce the assaulter identified as belonging to the Club within 7 days from April 23 2019 before the police station with jurisdiction for the purposes of prosecution. The Club shall accordingly file to the GFA a written report of compliance with this order not later than May 2, 2019.
  1. The Club shall be liable to a further sanction of 2 home match ban in any competition of the GFA anytime from the date of this decision, upon failure to fully comply with the orders herein.
  2. On the player and team masseur (the accused) are acquitted and discharged on all counts. Though the Disciplinary Committee finds that their testimonies were not credible and full of inconsistencies, they are acquitted on procedural technical grounds particularly because of a patent defect in the charge preferred by the Prosecutor and also that it has not been proved beyond doubt that they were directly involved in the assault. That notwithstanding, the fact of the assault and the involvement of persons associated with the club is positively established by the evidence adduced before the Disciplinary Committee including documentary evidence by way of the exhibits and official reports.