Asante Kotoko fan shot by police, in critical condition

Author: Kwadwo Baffoe Donkor
The match was marred by crowd trouble

A football fan believed to be an Asante Kotoko supporter is reportedly in critical condition and receiving "emergency treatment" in hospital after he was shot beneath the eye by a police officer on duty at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium on Sunday during crowd control operation by the security personnel at the end of the Premier League match between Kotoko and Berekum Chelsea.

Chelsea won the match 1-0.

It was not clear exactly what the fan did but the rubber bullet fired by the police hit the fan in the face making him bleed profusely.

He was rushed to the Emergency Unit of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital where he is receiving treatment.

At the time of filing this report, officials of Asante Kotoko were at the hospital and making arrangement to send him to the Spectra Scan Centre to undergo CT scan.

The Public Relations Officer of Kotoko, Kennedy Boakye Ansah described the action of the police as senseless since the referees who most of the supporters were waiting for, had already been put into police armoured vehicle and were being driven away and wondered why the police should have given that shot.

According to him, the club would lodge a formal complaint with the police to investigate the issue. He indicated that Kotoko would foot the hospital bill of the wounded fan.

The Match Day 3 Ghana Premier league fixture was marred by officiating from the referees, which compelled the supporters to throw missiles onto the pitch and halting the game for about 10 minutes.

It all started when an off-the-ball incident on the blind side of the centre referee Charles Bulu who was told by the fourth referee that the culprit of the incident was Ampem Dacosta.

Without wasting much time, the referee flashed the yellow card to Dacosta who was already on a yellow thus earning the marching orders to the dressing room.

This angered the supporters who started throwing missiles including sachet and bottled water onto the pitch.

Even after the game, not even the shield provided by the police would spare them from attacks from the supporters who still waited for the referees in front of the mixed zone area of the stadium.