Owusu,Gyamfi seal Kotoko double over Hearts

Author: George Ernest Asare
Some fans join players of Kotoko as skipper Amos Frimpong lifts the trophy after their double victory over Hearts

Two second half goals from substitutes Obed Owusu and Emmanuel Gyamfi propelled Kumasi Asante Kotoko to win back to back against arch rivals Accra Hearts of Oak in their return friendly encounter played at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi on Sunday September 2

Owusu opened the scoring for Kotoko in the 69th minute when he combined with Songne Yacouba and Jordan Opoku to slot home the ball to the delight of the Kotoko fans who were yearning for the match opener.

In the 83rd minute  Gyamfi  announced his presence in the game with an artistic connection from  Stephen Nyarko’s pass to increase the tally for the Porcupine Warriors and deepen the  woes of Hearts who were pressing for the equaliser.

The 2-0 victory over Accra Hearts of Oak  completed a double of the Kumasi based club over their arch rivals in the two-leg friendly encounter organised to keep the two most glamourous clubs in Ghana in good shape, following a long break of football activities in Ghana.

Last week, Kotoko defeated Hearts in the first leg of the friendly match  following a brace by Burkina Faso import Songne Yacouba .

The second leg which should have been played at the Accra Sports Stadium  was rescheduled for the Baba Yara Sports Stadium following the ongoing constructional works in Accra .

Moments after kick off , Hearts took control of the game and pinned Kotoko to their own half as they created chances but failed to find target.

In the sixth minute, Kojo Obeng Jnr weaved into the vital area of Kotoko and fired a shot, but goal keeper Felix Annan in post for Kotoko made a brilliant save to keep a clean sheet.

 Hearts continued with their  dominance and came close again in the 44th minute, but Patrick Razak who was presented with the opportunity missed it to give  Kotoko a welcome breather.

When Emmanuel Gyamfi and Obed Owusu were introduced into the game in the second half , the game changed slightly in favour of Kotoko as they took the ball to their opponents and started making inroads into their vital area, scoring two goals to win  double  victory over Hearts  within a week to become proud recipients of the giant trophy at stake.

The match arranged to give fans something to  cheer about however turned an anti climax as some fans  created some chaotic scenes that caused injuries to some of them  who had to receive medical treatment from the medical staff in the stadium.