The head coach of Aduana Stars, Paa Kwesi Fabin, says football clubs are suffering from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic and has, therefore, challenged clubs to work hard to striking sponsorship deals that would ease their financial burden.
He said two months of inactivity due to the ban on social gathering and sporting activities in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic has greatly impacted clubs and players negatively and exposed their weak financial base.
Loss of form
Admitting that players and technical staff are suffering, Fabin said beside the financial strain they are experiencing, he fears that the absence of competitions, planned and supervised training would affect players’ form when football finally returns.
“Now there is no football, there are no gate proceeds and most of our clubs don’t have sponsors that will even help them in this difficulties time. It is tough for the clubs, it is a very difficult situation the clubs find themselves now,” the coach lamented in an interview with the Graphic Sports.
Fabin, who is also the head coach of the Black Meteors, said his biggest worry was the lack of intensive group training by the players who have resorted to unplanned individual training due to social distancing protocols, fearing they would have lost so much form and become rusty.
For him, the Ghana situation currently looks very uncertain and would need Divine intervention since the coronavirus pandemic does not appear as one to be brought under control anytime soon.
“The only thing that can help the clubs is the intervention of God so the COVID-19 will go so that football will come back to enable clubs get money from gate proceeds to ease their financial crises.”
Despite the gloomy picture, Coach Fabin is waiting on the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to provide clear direction on the future of the Ghana Premier League season which was suspended after the 15th week.
“Even some countries have truncated their league a declared some winners. The GFA has given themselves until June 30 to take a firm decision as to whether to continue or not. I believe we should wait to that declaration so we will take it from there,” added the Aduana coach.