International Boxing Federation (IBF) lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez has given indication that he is ready to offer Ghana’s Richard Commey a rematch but only after dealing with Vasyl Lomachenko in a title unification bout.
Lopez, who earned a surprised second round stoppage win over Commey last December, said he was ready to slug it out with the Ghanaian again, if there were strong demands for a rematch.
The 22-year-old American dethroned Commey with a second round knockout victory at the Madison Square Garden in New York. Lopez caught Commey with a perfect right hook which dazed the Ghanaian and he followed up with over 30 unanswered punches leading to the stoppage of the fight by the referee, David Fields.
Responding to a live question and answer chat last Thursday, Lopez wished Commey the best in his career and revealed he was opened up to a possible rematch with the hard-hitting Ghanaian.
“Wishing him nothing but the best and if the fight potentially comes up again, then I don’t see why not to have a rematch,” he said.
Lopez is bent on making a dream unification bout with the WBC, WBA and WBO title holder Lomachenko, his outmost target, and disclosed also that he had been in contact with the Ukrainian’s camp.
“I’m going straight for Lomachenko. I’m in contact with his promoter from time to time,” he added.
Meanwhile, Commey has been training alone in Accra as he prepares to be in shape ahead of his return by the close of the year.
The 32-year-old boxer has been on vacation in Ghana since last December and has pledged to return to the ring with a big win as he targets a second chance at becoming a world champion once again.
Commey’s manager, Michael Amoo-Bediako, told the Graphic Sports last month that he was working on a deal to get the boxer back into the ring in the coming months to prepare for a possible world title shot before the end of this year.