Melcom disaster death toll now 14

on .

Another dead body, a female was recovered from the rubble on Saturday night bringing the total death toll to 14 with 68 alive.
The rescue team continued work throughout last night with all stakeholders making very active and coordinated effort to remove the rubble to gain access to sections where it is suspected there could be human presence.

In the course of the removing the rubble Saturday, two cash saves were pulled out rubble and handed to the management of Melcom.

A Press release issued by the Public Affairs Section of the Ghana Armed Force, signed by Lieutenant Commander Veronica Adzo Arhin, said about 60 per cent of the debris had been removed and that as of Sunday morning, a considerable amount of the debris had been cleared from the top of the rubble and several concrete slabs peeled off.

The eight-member delegation from Israel returned home Saturday after accomplishing their task of identifying survivors still buried under the rubble.

After their departure, the China Railways Corporation brought in some experts to help with the rescue effort.

Deputy Health Health Minister, Mr Rojo Mettle-Nunoo, who has been actively involved in the rescue mission since the collapse of the Melcom Shopping Complex told journalists that the Israeli team before their departure expressed confidence in the Ghanaian rescue effort.

He said the Israelis were particularly overwhelmed by the number of victims who were rescued by the Ghanaian rescue team before their arrival last Thursday.

Story by Sebastian Syme

Newer news items:
Older news items: