Ghana and Iran have affirmed their commitment to deepen collaboration in the oil and gas sector.
President John Dramani Mahama and the Iranian Foreign Affairs Minister Dr Ali Akbar Saleh made the pledgeTuesday at the Castle, Osu.
Mr Saleh, who was in Ghana for the inauguration of President Mahama, was at the Castle to hold discussions with the President.
President Mahama said that Iran had rich
expertise in the area of oil and gas and it was crucial for more
Ghanaians to be trained in oil and gas engineering in Iran.
On the Ghana-Iran Joint Committee, President Mahama said the committee had already signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) in five areas, including vocational training and the expansion of the Iran Clinic.
He said the committee, which held its last meeting in 2010, was poised to begin a series of meetings starting from the middle of this year.
He said the expansion of the Iran Clinic was significant to allow the hospital to attend to more patients.
President Mahama described Ghana-Iran relations as historic, and expressed the hope that they would be able to lift the ties to a higher level.
He commended Iran for the successful hosting of the Non Aligned Movement (NAM) Conference in 2012.
He again lauded President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for assuming the Chairmanship of the NAM, and assured him of Ghana's support.
President Mahama welcomed the invitation to him to visit Iran, and indicated that he would pay that visit as soon as he settled down.
He expressed Ghana's willingness to also host President Ahmadinejad to a state visit.
Dr Saleh gave the assurance that Iran was willing to share experiences with Ghana in the area of oil and gas.
He expressed gratitude to Ghana for supporting Iran in its peaceful nuclear programme.
He reiterated the commitment of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran to strengthen its political, trade and cultural relations with Ghana.
On the Iran Clinic, Dr Saleh said Iran wanted to expand the clinic into a hospital to offer increased healthcare to Ghanaians.
Story by Musah Yahaya Jafaru
- Couple arrested - For causing harm to granddaughter
- Amorous pastor arrested for attempting to poison the husband of a church member
- AMA suspends dumping at Achimota site
- NPP comes out with further evidence
- Accused in Mobilla murder trial denies charges
- Two men arrested for murder - In two separate incidents
- I placed nation above party
- NPP's suit against presidential results - EC files defence
- President Mahama makes his first appointments
- Girl 14 abducted and defiled
- Yayi Boni lauds Ghana's democratic credentials
- Mahama inaugurated
- Charcoal truck drivers in tussle over land with family
- Unite to fight common challenges
- I'll ensure my actions impact positively - Prez Mahama
- Leaders assure President Mahama of support
- Farmer commits suicide - After killing son, injuring three
- NPP supporters besiege Kufuor's residence - To stop him from attending Mahama's inauguration
- President takes office today
- Back call for unity with action-President urged
- Speaker bids emotional farewell as fifth Parliament dissolves
- Address was silent on critical issues — Minority Leader
- President Mahama's state-of-the nation address
- CEPS impounds truck loads of fridges at Takoradi Port
- Woman stabbed to death by unknown assailants