Gospel music diva, Gifty Osei, has struck out against stereotyped thinking which consider being fashionable a sin that people who proclaim to be christians must avoid.
She told Showbiz last Monday at her Tema home that she had been aware of some harsh criticisms from relatives, fans and the public concerning her makeup, long eye lashes and trendy onstage movements.
Herself a talented fashion designer, the Fefeefe hitmaker, Gifty Osei said she did not see anything wrong with looking beautiful since the God she serves Himself likes beautiful things.
“I am a christian, yes. But I’m not a hypocrite to pretend to be what I’m not”, she said. “I’m Asafo Maame and I can’t portray myself in one way on one occasion and put on something else at another time. When that happens, people will be disappointed in me.
“This is Gifty Osei and I cannot change, God has blessed me with beauty and there is no point in hiding it. I need to show it moreover, I am a fashion designer so I am aware of all the happenings so far as fashion is concerned.” she said.
As to whether she is not concerned with the negative comments especially as she is a gospel musician, she said “If God blesses you and you do not get people to talk about you then it means there is a question mark on you. Even though I get people talk about my eye lashes and all, I do not let them get to me rather I take the good aspects of their criticisms and ignore the negative ones.”
Gifty said, “If one has a good relationship with God and you have a clean heart then there is no problem and I have a good relationship with Him, we communicate each and every time, I do not take any step unless God gives me the go ahead”
She said she takes every fashion step with her husband and so far , he has been quite content with them. “My husband has been my first critic and first admirer.
The one time winner of the VGMA Gospel Song of the Year award added “sometime back we were using huge and large computers but now people are using laptops, tablets and all. Therefore you have to change as time changes but that change should not affect your relationship with God.
She said, her silence in the industry for all this while is because she is cooking lots of things that will hit the market before the end of this year and among them is the launch of her new album in August.”
She also said that as a Development Ambassador for Senya Breku, she is planning a big show for the kids who participated in the just ended Talented Kids on TV3.
Gifty Osei has become one of the household names in Ghana’s music industry. Her energy, zeal and high sense of fashion on stage are some of the elements her fans look out for whenever she hits the stage. In 2007, her debut album, Aseda, became an instant hit in Ghana.
Coming from a humble background, Gifty had her basic education at the Mantey Din and New Oninku JSS, all in Tema, before learning fashion design. She is married to Tema based Pastor Prince Elisha Osei.
By Delali Sika/Graphic Showbiz
- Who is King of Dancehall in GH?
- Becca lands gig in Japan
- Miss USA 2013 Contestants Too Skinny, Former Pageant Winners Say
- Grace Nortey: Acting is no longer attractive
- Uti: God used Big Brother Africa to change my life
- OK, I give you a second chance -Promzy tells Bomaye
- Jay-Z to release first solo album in four years
- Countdown on Close Up Salsa Fiesta season 3
- On the Weekend City Show
- Cecilia Marfo gets ready for big worship concert
- Homestretch for Hit-Maker demos
- BBA gets luv-ly
- BBA The Chase: Elikem chooses Pokello
- BukBak Registers brand name and logo after 15 years of doing music
- BBA The Chase: Selly and Pokello spitting fire!
- BBA The Chase: Elikem nominated for eviction
- Why I don't wear my wedding ring -Desmond Elliot
- Is Akaida here to upstage Azonto?
- ‘Medadwen’ gets good reception
- The lady Afia Adutwumwaa Morosa
- Vivian hits 50
- Afia Schwarzenegger on Viasat 1
- Elephant Man for Bass Awards
- Stephanie Benson arrives for ‘Good Feeling’ launch
- ‘King of the Mic’ reality show coming